Personal page of
TOMMASO DORIGO, Ph. D.
First Researcher @ INFN
I am an experimental particle physicist working as a First Researcher for the Italian institute for nuclear physics (INFN), and a member of the CMS experiment at CERN since 2001; previously (1995-2012) I have been a member of the CDF experiment at Fermilab.
I am married since 2017 with Kalliopi Petrou, a lyrical soprano singer, and have a son (Filippo, 21) and a daughter (Ilaria, 17) from a previous marriage. I live in Padova, where I work for the INFN as well as for the University of Padova (as a hired professor).
My research interests are extended in three partly synergic directions:
- in Particle Physics, where they span from Higgs boson physics to top quark physics, to searches for new phenomena extending
our current knowledge of subnuclear world;
- in Statistics, focusing on parameter estimation, frequentist methods, handling nuisance parameters in statistical inference, and multivariate analysis;
- in Computer Science, targeting machine end-to-end optimization of physics measurements with machine learning, on differentiable programming, and on anomaly detection and unsupervised techniques.
A list of over 1500 scientific publications I authored can be found
- Coordinator of the MODE Collaboration, a group with a cutting-edge research program at the crossroads of particle physics and artificial intelligence
- Co-chair of the CMS Thesis Award Committee, 2020-present
- Outreach coordinator and PI of INFN-Padova node of INSIGHTS ETN, 2017-present
- Scientific coordinator of AMVA4NewPhysics ETN, funded by Horizon2020, 2014-2019
- Scientific coordinator of accelerator-based research at INFN-Padova and board member of CSN1 at INFN, 2016-2020
- Chair of CMS Statistics committee, 2012-2015
- Chair of over 20 review committees in CDF and CMS, 2002-present
- Convener of several research and analysis groups in CDF and CMS, 2000-present
- Recipient of Marie Curie innovative training network grants (2.4M euro, AMVA4NewPhysics 2015; 3.0M euro, INSIGHTS 2017 (0.36M to INFN-Padova))
- Author of innovative algorithms for data analysis (MuScleFit, Inverse Bagging, Hyperball, Hemisphere Mixing, RanBox, INFERNO)
- Author of over 1500 scientific publications (>150k citations, Hirsch index 176 - Google scholar)
- Invited lecturer at 13 post-graduate schools in Physics, Statistics, and Machine Learning
- Speaker at over 30 talks at international conferences, and over 30 seminars and colloquia at universities and research institutes
- Editor of journal Reviews in Physics of Elsevier Pub. co., 2015-present
- Editor of journal Physics Open of Elsevier Pub. co., 2019-present
- Author of over 1200 science popularization online articles in personal blog (over 12M visits)
- Author of book Anomaly! Collider Physics and the Quest for New Phenomena at Fermilab (World Scientific 2016)
NEWS AND FUTURE EVENTS
- Feb 1st: I have been appointed as a member of the Advisory Board of the "SilentBorder" EC-funded project.
- Feb 1st: on March 5th I will give a lecture on "L'intelligenza artificiale per la ricerca in fisica fondamentale: presente e futuro" (AI for research in fundamenta physics: present and future) at the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, during an event titled "Intelligenza artificiale, robotica e macchine intelligenti: ricadute etiche e sociali" (AI, robotics and intelligent machines: ethical and social repercussions".
- Jan 26th: I have been invited to give a talk at the Machine Learning Journal Club of CMS on Friday Feb 5th at 2PM CET.
- Jan 22th 2021: on Feb 26th at 5PM I will give a talk at a STAMPS meeting of Carnegie-Mellon University on "Incorporating systematic uncertainties into ML methods for HEP".
- Jan 19th 2021: The book-ready version 2 of my preprint "Dealing with Nuisance Parameters with Machine Learning in High Energy Physics: a Review", due to be published in a book on "Artificial Intelligence for HEP", is available in the arXiv.
- Nov. 25th 2020: I gave an invited seminar on "Incorporating systematic uncertainties in machine learning models in HEP" at the Instituto Superior Tecnico of Lisbon (PT)
- Nov. 24th: I gave a lecture at the International Data Analysis Olympiad in Moscow
- Nov. 8th: I was invited as a honorary speaker to the Vth USERN Congress, Teheran (Iran), where I gave a lecture on "Artificial Intelligence for Physics Research, and Physics Research for Artificial Intelligence" and chaired a workshop on Artificial Intelligence.
- Oct. 15th: for the "Galileo Week of Science and Innovation" I gave a public lecture in Sala Paladin, Palazzo Moroni, Padova, on the topic of the connections between art and science and the Art & Science Across Italy organization.
- Sep. 28th, 30th, Oct 2, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23 etc.: I am holding lectures on "Particle Physics: Foundations, Instruments, Analysis Methods" for the master in Statistical Science of University of Padova. Lectures are in person as well as online on zoom. Contact me if you wish to follow them.
- Sep. 29th: I published a piece on "Systematic Uncertainties: the new target of Machine Learning for HEP" in the CERN EP Newsletter, available online.
- Sep. 28th: I gave an interview to Andrea Idini (Lund University) for "MEETSCIENCE". The recording of the interview is available on YouTube.
- Sep. 20th: I have been accepted as a member of the ELLIS Society.
- Sep. 6th: I gave an invited talk on "Reducing the impact of nuisance parameters in physics measurement with machine learning" at ICNFP IX, Kolympari (Greece).
- Sep. 1st: I have been appointed as co-chair (with Marta Felcini) of the "Thesis Committee" of the CMS experiment, for the period Sep 2020 - Aug 2022.
- Aug. 25th: I published the preprint article T. Dorigo, J. Kieseler, L. Layer, and G.C. Strong, "Muon Energy Measurement from Radiative Losses in a Calorimeter for a Collider Detector", arXiv:2008.10958[physics.ins-det] (2020).
- Aug. 14th: I gave a STAMPS webinar at the Department of Statistics of Carnegie Mellon University (US)
- July 31st: I joined today the Editorial Board of the journal MDPI particles as a honorary member.
- July 20th: I gave an invited lecture at the YANDEX Machine Learning school for High-Energy Physics, EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
- July 20th: the article T. Dorigo and P. de Castro Manzano, "Dealing with nuisance parameters with machine learning in high-energy physics analysis" is available on the arxiv.
- July 17th: I gave a talk on "Anomaly Detection with RanBox" at the Anomaly Detection Mini-Workshop, held virtually.
- On July 6th I was hosted by David Orban in his interactive show Searching for the question live, streaming online on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube. We talked about HEP, artificial intelligence, and science communication. You can listen to the full interview here.
- June 23rd: The article T.Dorigo, "From SU(3) to Three Quark Families: Hard-Learned Lessons" has been published on Physica Scripta (T.Dorigo, Phys. Scr. 95 (2020) 084004). You may download a copy here
- June 19th: The article T. Dorigo, "Geometry Optimization of a Muon-Electron Scattering Detector", arXiv:2002.09973 (2020) is now available for download at the Physics Open journal site.
- March 5th: due to the sanitary emergency, the following planned events have been postponed or canceled:
- Invited seminar at the University of Bergen, March 7th (to be rescheduled)
- Participation to the jury of the IDAO2020 machine learning challenge at the higher school of Economics, Moscow April 1-4th (canceled)
- Invited lecture at the workshop "Intelligenza Artificiale, Robotica e Macchine Intelligenti", Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Roma, April 23 (rescheduled to April 2021)
- Invited colloquium at the University of Lund, May 9th (rescheduled to May 2021)
- Invited seminar at the University of Nijmegen, May 25th (canceled)
- Invited lecture at the University of Seoul, South Korea, July (canceled)
- Cycle of lectures in Statistics for the CORFU COST action 18108 school, September (rescheduled to April 2021)
- Invited talk at the workshop Machine Learning for High Energy Physics, on and off the Lattice, ECT Trento, Sept. 28th-Oct 2nd 2020, postponed to September 2021
For the CMS experiment
(2001-present) I have focused my research activities on Higgs physics and on searches for new phenomena, as well as on the development of advanced analysis tools for the calibration of the muon momentum scale (MuScleFit
), used in Higgs discovery analyses, the modeling of QCD backgrounds in multi-jet final states (Hemisphere mixing
), the investigation of multi-dimensional parameter space of new physics theories with unsupervised tools, and the anomaly detection approach to searches of new phenomena (Inverse Bagging
Previously, for the CDF experiment
(1995-2012) I have contributed to the top quark search and discovery
and to the construction of the muon system upgrade of the CDF-II detector. I have produced the first observation of Z->bb decays in hadron collisions
, and developed a trigger for the calibration of b-quark jets using Z->bb decays.
Statistics and Machine Learning
STATISTICS AND MACHINE LEARNING
As a member (Sep 2009-present) and chair
(Jan 2012-Jul 2015) of the CMS Statistics Committee I have been ensuring the highest standards of statistical inference in data analysis for the publications of my experiment, advising the collaboration on best practice and performing the screening of ALL journal publications from the point of view of statistics technique and description.
Through the design and implementation of the AMVA4NewPhysics ITN project (see below
) I have brought Statisticians and Physicists together with the purpose of enabling a common language and addressing specific problems of HEP data analysis. I am fostering the interest of Statistics students in Padova toward HEP applications and studies, by offering theses and teaching particle physics at the Masters in Statistical Sciences.
Recent publications of relevance:
I am involved in a number of studies of applications of machine learning techniques to particle physics applications,
as well as in the design of new techniques customized to the very special use cases provided by HEP and related research. These activities are in part the result of collaboration with the darkmachines
and the GradHep
collaborations, to which I belong, as well as the ETN networks AMVA4NewPhysics
Recent publications of relevance:
- P. de Castro Manzano and T. Dorigo, Dealing with Nuisance Parameters using Machine Learning in High Energy Physics: a Review", arXiv:2007.09121v2[stat.ML], to be published in "Artificial Intelligence for HEP".
- T. Dorigo, J. Kieseler, L. Layer, G. Strong, "Muon Energy Measurement from Radiative Losses in a Calorimeter for a Collider Detector", arXiv:2008.10958[physics.ins-det] (2020).
- T. Dorigo, Geometry Optimization of a Muon-Electron Scattering Detector, arXiv:2002.09973, Physics Open 4 (2020) 100022.
- P. de Castro and T. Dorigo, INFERNO: Inference-Aware Neural Optimization, Comp. Phys. Comm. 244 (2019) 170.
- P. Vischia and T. Dorigo, The Inverse Bagging Algorithm: Anomaly Detection by Inverse Bootstrap Algorithm, EPJ Web Conf. 137 (2017) 11009.
Current teaching activities
Previous teaching activities at undergraduate level
- Course on "Particle Physics: Foundations, Tools, Methods" at the Masters in Statistical Sciences, as a hired professor at the University of Padova (2018-present)
- Course on "Statistics for data analysis" at the Ph.D. in Physics, University of Padova (2014-present)
Invited cycles of lectures at advanced graduate schools
- Course on "Subnuclear Gauge Physics" at the Masters in Physics, Univ. Padova 2009-2012
- Course on "Physics" for the Laurea in Chemistry, Univ. Padova 2002-2004
- Course on "Physics Experimentation 2" for the Laurea in Physics, Univ. Padova 2006-2008
- "Physics at hadron colliders" at: Univ. Catania 2004, Univ. Padova 2004, "Corfu Summer Institute", Corfu, Greece 2005.
- "Physics with CMS" at "VIICRA school", Quito 2017.
- "The discovery of the Higgs boson" at: "Shanghai Tech Summer School", Asiago 2018, Asiago 2019.
- "Statistics for data analysis" at: "Niccolo' Cabeo school" (Ferrara 2014), "Open Science Data Cloud school" (Perugia 2017), "CHIPP School" (Engelberg, 2012), "HEP Summer School" (Weihai, China 2016), "DKPI Indian Summer School" (Traunkirken, Austria 2015), "SOS School of Statistics" (Autrans 2016, La Londe 2018, France), "IDPASC School" (Asiago 2017).
- "Machine learning for HEP" at: "Data Science School", Braga, Portugal 2019, "YANDEX Machine Learning for HEP School", EPFL, Switzerland 2020.
The ones below are tentative titles of possible theses at laurea, masters, and PhD level. Contact me for more information
if you are interested, or to volunteer for a different one if it fits my research interests!
Ph. D. Thesis opportunities
Master Thesis opportunities
- Search for new physics with CMS with unsupervised learning techniques
- Design optimization of detectors for particle physics using differentiable programming
Laurea Thesis opportunities
- Limits of application of semi-supervised classification techniques
- Reconstruction of the neutral B hadron decay to tau lepton pairs with CMS
- Design optimization of detectors for muon tomography
Present and past advisorship activities
- Application of anomaly detection techniques to new physics searches with CMS
In addition to the above, the following topics are currently being explored by students I am advising:
- Top quark cross section measurement optimization through systematics-aware classification (Dr. L. Layer, Ph.D. thesis)
- Search for the rare decay B-> tau tau with CMS B-parked Run-2 data (Dr. H. Yarar, Ph.D thesis)
- Anomaly detection with RanBox (Dr. M. Fumanelli, Masters thesis in Statistical Sciences; C. Maccani, Laurea in Physics)
- Measurement of muon energy in a fine-grained calorimeter with machine learning (Dr. F. Chiandotto, Masters thesis in Statistical Sciences)
And here is a list of laurea and Ph.D. students I am or have been an advisor of:
- Undegraduate and masters: M. Scardellato, G. Cortiana, E. Stocco, D. Frigo, M. Tosi, P. Vischia, A. Zavanella, M. Tosi, E. Moretti, D. Perizzolo, R. Casagrande, C. Favaro, P. Bortignon, P. Vischia, A. Zucchetta, D. Ceoldo, C. Gottardo, N. Riolfi, A. Balata, M. Migliorini, A. Casa, V. Fioroni, G. Delaini, M. Fumanelli, C. Maccani, F. Chiandotto, M. Mojsovska, S. Tosato;
- Ph. D.: Dr. Giorgio Cortiana, Dr. Marco de Mattia, Dr. Mia Tosi, Dr. Luca Perrozzi, Dr. Alberto Zucchetta, Dr. Martino dall'Osso, Dr. Pablo de Castro Manzano, Dr. Hevjin Yarar, Dr. Lukas Layer.
Dissemination, Reviews, Refereeing
CONFERENCE TALKS, SEMINARS AND COLLOQUIA
Selected conference talks
Selected colloquia and seminars at Universities and Research institutes
- "Artificial Intelligence for Physics Research", Vth USERN Congress, Tehran 2020.
- "From SU(3) to Three Quark Families", 8th ICNFP, Kolimpari 2019 (invited lecture at M. Gell-Mann memorial session).
- "Hadron Collider Searches for Diboson Resonances", 7th ICNFP, Kolimpari 2018 (invited plenary talk).
- "Hemisphere Mixing", EPS 2017, Venezia lido.
- "Recent Results of the CMS Experiment", 6th int. conference on HEP in the LHC era, Valparaiso 2016 (invited talk).
- "Standard Model Tests at the Tevatron", PASCOS, Imperial College, London 2007.
- "Searches for the Standard Model Higgs Boson at the Tevatron", Moriond QCD, La Thuile 2005.
- "Top Studies", Frontier Science 2002, Frascati 2002 (invited summary talk).
- "Fundamental Statistics for Discovery in Fundamental Physics", Physics Colloquium, Universite' Catholique de Louvain, 14 giugno 2018.
- "Fundamental Statistics for Discovery in Fundamental Physics", Oxford University, 24 April 2018.
- "Extraordinary Claims: The 0.000029% Solution", Physics Colloquium, Tel Aviv University, 1 January 2017.
- "Anomalies in Collider Data", Physics Colloquium, Northwestern University, 11 November 2016.
- "Status and Prospects of Higgs Searches at the Tevatron", Universidad de Valencia, 8 April 2010.
- "Anomalous multi-muon events in CDF", Universite' de Geneve, 20 March 2009.
- "Observation of Z Decays to b-Quark Pairs at the Tevatron Collider", Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 24 september 1998.
PUBLISHING AND ORGANIZATION OF CONFERENCES
As an editor for two high-level peer-reviewed journals (Reviews in Phyics
and Physics Open
) for Elsevier Publishing co., I actively search for interesting review articles as well as innovative research papers - please contact me
if you are interested in publishing with us.
I have contributed as a member of local organizing committees, as session chair, or session convener to the organization of several conferences, workshops, and dissemination events in particle physics and related topics:
- European Physical Society Conference on HEP (Venezia Lido, Italy 2017), member of local organizing committee
- Quark Confinement and the Hadron Spectrum (2016-present), ideator and chair of session on "Statistical Methods for Physics Analysis in the XXI Century"; member of local organizing committee, 2016.
- International conference on New Frontiers in Physics (2014-present), organizer of parallel sessions, organizer of social events, chair of plenary sessions
- INFN School of Statistics (2013-present), member of scientific organizing committee
- Darkmachines collaboration workshops (2018-present), member of organizing committee, chair of sessions
- International Workshop on Advanced Computing and Analysis Techniques in Physics Research (Saas-Fee, 2019), chair of parallel session
REVIEWS AND REFEREEING
I have peer-reviewed scientific publications for the following journals: Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Computer Physics Communications, Journal of Instrumentation, Physics Math Central A, The Review of Particle Properties, Il Nuovo Cimento, International Journal of Modern Physics A, Computing and Software for Big Science, Progress of Particle and Nuclear Physics, MDPI Instruments, MDPI Symmetry, SciPost, Physica Scripta, NeurIPS, Nature Communications.
I have reviewed grant proposals for INFN (Italy), the NWO and the FOM (the Netherlands), the STFC and the Royal Society (Great Britain), the QNRF (Qatar), and the European Community Horizon 2020 program. In addition, I am currently a referee of the BES III and MUonE experiments for INFN.
I am a member of the Advisory Board of the EC-funded SilentBorder project. I am also a member of the Editorial Board of "MDPI Particles"
I have selected researchers for prizes awarded by INFN
, the USERN organization
, the International Data Analysis Olympiad
, and the CMS experiment
My outreach activity is intense and multi-pronged:
I have also organized and/or given presentations at over 30 public conferences, high-school lectures, and outreach events. Below I list a short selection of such events.
- Invited talk ("Communicating discoveries in the blog era") and panel discussion on "Blogs, Big Physics and Breaking News" at the World Conference of Science Journalists, London 2009
(with Matthew Chalmers and James Gillies, see a summary by M. Durrani on Physics World here )
- Invited talk "Universe Dissectors" at TED-X Flanders, Antwerp 2011 (with Peter Woit, see video on YouTube).
- Invited guest to the talk show "Il vaso di Pandora" ("Istruzione tradizionale o valorizzazione dei talenti?" - see YouTube video) for the TeleChiara network, 2016 (with Paola Zocca).
- Public lecture at Festivaletteratura 2018 Mantova on "Scienza e societa'" (with Massimiano Bucchi).
- Panel discussion on "Artificial Intelligence: past, present and future" at DESY, Hamburg (7 July 2019, with Pierre Baldi, Andrey Ustyuzhanin, Glen Cowan).
Collaboration & networking
COLLABORATION AND NETWORKING
Besides participating in the CMS experiment at the CERN LHC (and previously in the CDF experiment at the Fermilab Tevatron collider), I am involved in the following collaborative endeavours:
- MODE, an international collaboration of physicists and computer scientists developing differentiable programming tools for the end-to-end optimization of the design of particle physics detectors
- DarkMachines, an international collaboration of over 100 astronomers, physicists, astrophysicists and computer scientists developing machine learning tools for dark matter searches
- GradHep, a small group of physicists and computer scientists developing differentiable programming tools for the optimization of physics measurement
- ML-INFN, a project for an end-to-end use of machine learning for INFN research
In addition, I am or have been involved in the following EC-funded projects:
- as Scientific Coordinator and PI of the INFN node for the AMVA4NewPhysics network, an ETN focusing on machine learning developments for HEP research (2014-2019)
- as PI of the INFN-Padova node and Outreach Coordinator for the INSIGHTS network, an ETN focusing on statistics and machine learning advancements for scientific research (2017-present)
- as a member of iMPACT, an ERC-Consolidator granted project on a fast device for proton therapy led by Prof. P. Giubilato (Univ. Padova)
||Dr. Tommaso Dorigo
First Researcher, INFN-Padova
Email: dorigo (at) pd (dot) infn (dot) it
Office tel.: +39 0499677230
Mobile tel.: +39 3666995594
Dipartimento di Fisica e Astronomia "G.Galilei"
via Francesco Marzolo 8,